Saturday, March 31, 2012

upgrade Debian Etch menjadi Lenny

I recently decided it was time to upgrade my workstation from Etch to Lenny. Several of the applications were showing bugs and it looked like Lenny had stabilized enough to use it. I’m alway reluctant to upgrade. In my experience something always breaks, and I spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to repair the broken system.

So I found the instruction Chapter 4: Upgrading from previous releases. I followed the instructions, except for recording the session. Next time I’ll probably consider doing this too. Everything seemed to go well. I managed to do the entire upgrade, while logged into the machine, and reading the web page in the browser running on that same machine. I was pretty impressed, I have to say. I was even able to chat on IRC with my friends while I did the upgrade.

Nothing ever works perfectly. For some reason, every time I upgrade even the kernel, it messes up my /boot/grub/menu.lst My boot drive is /dev/sda2 but it keeps getting set to /dev/sdb2, go figure. After repeatedly having this problem, it really doesn’t bother me that much anymore. It’s just a minor annoyance.

I have a samba share where I store all my Windows data files. I don’t trust Windows to keep my data safe, so I store it on my Linux machine. I use ldap for authentication. So after my upgrade I tripped over <a href=”http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495954″ bug #495954</a> I found it interesting that this bug seemed to have been reported and verified by several people, but no one seemed to want to report a work around. Either my Google foo is weak, or no one has reported how to work around this. I’m in the process of reconstructing my authentication system from scratch. I also notice there is no samba3 schema file. I’m still trying to track this down.

More later ………………………………..

linux geek

Penjelasan Materi Lainnya



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Profil Penulis Blog Ini

Penulis merupakan mahasiswa aktif Fakultas Teknik Universitas Syiah Kuala dan Merupakan Anggota dari komunitas IloveAceh --> @iloveaceh

Hubungi Kami Di Sini

WhatsApp:6289694269436
YM:erix_funky
Skype:ilmusains7

Copyright © Pengertian - Materi Belajar Online Design by BTDesigner | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger